Thursday, March 6, 2014

TD-U :: PRL:: Week 1 :: Images That Inspire Me :: Photorealism :: How I Perceived It

First of all I am discussing a certain class of images. This was what came to my mind when someone said "realistic", before the class. The class on Monday made me reconsider my position on the topic of photorealism, when Vadim discussed work like Ratatouille, Tintin and of course the works of the great 19th century masters.

It was a new avenue for me to think of artistic freehand while staying photorealistic.

Let's first discuss the artwork that I thought of as PR.

Photorealism, How I Perceived It

For me this was PR. I wanted to look at an image and then I should not be able to tell if this was a photograph or a painting/CG render. In this class of paintings, there are some which are of course more successful than the others.

Before we start examining the examples, I would like to declare that I am being totally naive about it. I picked these off the internet from sites claiming these to be paintings. The proof they generally offered was a guy standing next to the painting with a brush in his hand :p So I am not really sure that these are all paintings or not.

Lets look at some examples now.

I particularly like this painting. I think it is a really successful piece.



What I like
Red :: I really love how the artist has captured the sub surface scattering in this region.
Green :: I like how the luminosity follows this gradient.
Pink :: The amount of detail in this region is really impressive. The illusion of fractal like infinite complexity created here is really impressive. 

What I don't like
Yellow :: I am not sure where this very warm reflection is coming from. Is it a boat? Is it something off screen on the coast? It is not very clear to me.
Blue :: This region goes a bit too dark for my liking. It makes me feel as if there is something under the surface of the water. 
Orange :: The splashes in this region just lack the detail and the image just goes flat.

Next I like this image below in terms of how close it looks to the reality in the first look. However, I don't really find the image very appealing. I don't like the general palette used in it and the overall mood is very cold.


Apart from that, on closer inspection I found somethings that didn't work for me.


Blue :: The spec hit is too much
Green :: Inconsistancies in the specs
Red :: This region just doesn't work for me
Orange/Pink :: The shadow is not consistent 

In the next picture I think the painter has done a good job of  getting the oil on water. I am not really sure about the mouth of the subject though.


This is another very successful piece. I think it could have benefited a bit with very subtle eye dings.


I added the spec hits in the eyes roughly to see how it works.
Blue :: Not as successful as the rest of the painting
Red :: Something is a bit off about the shape of his nose
Pink :: The chin and the neck seem to be on the same plane.


A few more paintings that caught my attention.


I am not sure if this is a painting really. I think the painter has been successful in bringing out the photorealism in here, but this is just plain boring for me. I mean why would someone go and paint that?


In this one below I like how the painter got the texture of the bread out. Also the SSS on the egg on the left and the piece of ham looks really nice.



Pink :: The crumbs don't really work well.
Blue :: This area looks artificial
Yellow :: One major problem in this piece is that the shadows are really inconsistent in their direction, softness and color.

This one below has quite a few problems in it.



Yellow :: The speculars are different on all cans. Also the silver can shows a reflection on the left which is not really seen in the red can and is completely missing from the black one.
Pink :: The reflection is not quite right here
Green :: Same as pink
Red :: I am not sure what is this shade
Light Blue :: A weird white line shows up which I can't explain
Dark Blue :: Loses the realism

In the one below again I am not sure if it is a painting. However, I really like the colors in this picture. It has very 1970s cinema type feel to it.


That is it for this section.

No comments:

Post a Comment