Saturday, March 8, 2014

TD-U :: PRL :: Week 1 :: Images That Inspire Me :: Paintings

Here is a selection of paintings from around the internet that I found inspiring. I will try to accentuate why I like some more than the others.


I think the artist has positioned the key light very successfully. It accentuates the mood of the painting and brings out the personality of the subject. I also like the overall harshness of light and the fact that some parts of the painting are blown out and yet others are completely dark.


I like the use of atmospheric perspective in this image. I like how the artist has taken off the color values and details as we go away from the camera. I also like the use of haze. Small details like the wires and the intricate designs on the right hand side building add interest.


In B/W I like how the artist has used the haze to break the scene into FG, MG and BG. He/she has also created pockets of brightness and of shadows in the painting which nicely guides the eye along. The odd shape of the moon adds interest but it doesn't work for me. I would have also taken down the saturation on the clock on the top tower.


I like how the painter has brought out the faceted nature of the stones that make the mountain face. Also using the mid day sun, he/she has given minimal shadows giving a very to-the-point feel to the overall work. i also like the contrast ratio between the high spec of bright rock and the shadows of the cave. Same contrast can be found in the white- warm sunlight and cooler cast light.


I really like the colours on this one and again the haze. What also caught my attention was the spec hits on the roof tops.



I like the desaturated look of this one. The cool blue post apocalyptic look works for me. I also like the subject matter of this work.


I like the simple complexity of this scene.


This one here wins me over because of the palette, the composition and the small detail. Also like how the painter used key light from the side to accentuate the shapes and the texture of the structures.


This one here has a very nice mood to it. The mixed lighting scenario is really appealing.



The skin texture really works well on the subject's face.


I like the concept and the backlighting used for this work. It gives a nice glow and a nice rim. The composition is pleasing and the eye is guided nicely in the image. I also like reflectivity of the back wall.


Love the mood of this one. The painter uses the light colour beautifully and sets a very welcoming yet mysterious mood. I feel like there is going to be a kids story hidden in this forest with friendly little creatures hiding in the forest. Half expect to see a Leprechaun peeking from behind a rock.


I think this one is a lesson in lighting a female. A soft light is used, emphasising the femininity of the subject. I also like how beautifully the light shapes her. It gives her an air of innocence and mystery.


And this one would be a lesson in lighting a male character. Harsh lights with high contrast. Creates a respectable looking brooding personality.


Like the composition. Also like how all the elements in the scene are working together to guide the eyes to the point of interest. The scale of the structure has been conveyed very successfully. It is something I struggled with when I was trying to make a dragon look massive in a shot.


Love the softness that is created with help of atmospheric volume. Also the reflections in water look beautiful. However, I find the bright yellow reflection a bit distracting.


Guides the eye very well. The place depicted looks busy and prosperous and happy. The use of pockets of lights and shadows breaks up the image nicely.


Like how nicely the painter got through the texture of the structures


This is just amazing, if it is a painting at all. Even if it is a photograph, I like the mood again. the time of the day when it was taken is just perfect to show this kind of subject. Makes me feel as if I am visiting my parent's village after a long time. Going back to my roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment